Sunday, August 23, 2009

Eyebrow Threading

Hey friends! I have been in kind of a dry spell of blogging so I thought that I would talk about some randomness that is my life.

Has anybody ever had their eyebrows threaded? Eyebrow threading is depilation technique that originated in India and has in recent years made its way over to the US. It involves twisting a piece of thread into a double strand. The strand is used to pick up a line of hair and then remove it, creating a very clean, precise hairline. Eyebrow threading is the technique  preferred by Indian movie stars, who are often distinguished by their crisp brow lines. The result is pure Bollywood awesomeness with a beautifully shaped brow. The process of getting this finely shaped eyebrow is shear torture and agony. It feels like the lady is riping my flesh off.

I've only had this technique done a handful of times, but everytime I go, I sit there in the chair in pain thinking to myself "why, why oh why did I sign up for this knowing that I would have to endure this misery in order to have flashy eyebrows." Everytime I am there in that seat, I want to cry out "UNCLE!" But I signed up for the pain knowing that the result would be worth the pain. And oddly enough this reminds me of a sacrifice of a different kind, with a greater reward. Jesus willingly went to the cross, enduring unimaginable pain and humiliation just so we could have a chance at being in relationship with God. Jesus willing took that pain and shook the foundation of the world. 

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

Whoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment