Sunday, June 14, 2009

Remnant of love


So, I am s o blessed to volunteer with Remnant Church in Fairfield. This church is who they say they are. Their mission is to be the church on the street, in the office,  in life with refreshing life from God. How do I describe this church; its like coming up for a breath of fresh air. Their hearts for God and people are so colorful and unique. Their getting out into the community to make a difference because they believe that they have something worth fighting for.  I get to be a part of what God is doing in Fairfield. I’m interning here and I’m trying to be the hands and feet but right now I feel like I’m like the pinky, but eventually I will find my sweet spot, my special area of influence. I’m telling you people are always saying “what is so special about Fairfield? There is nothing to do, la-di-da-di-da” so here is my perspective. Fairfield has this secret luster. If you talk about the luster then there is the possibility that it will go away, but it is there. Fairfield has potential. 

 

Every week we go to a place called Mission Solano, which is a homeless shelter, and just hang out. I’m just blow away by the people there that have lost so much and that have maybe made some bad choices or have been down on their luck,  but despite all of that, they are so open to people. What I have found in the city of Fairfield is that the people really lack a sense of community but the people at the homeless shelter are very relational and open. I do my best to love them but they do a great job loving me back. The first week I was here. I had two days of work off and Ruby had gone out of town. I didn’t have anything to do so thought that I would just hangout with my friends at Mission Solano, but there is this guy there who goes by the name of Sweet Daddy who makes me feel mildly to extremely uncomfortable most of the time  sayin things like “I like your face….You are so sweet…you single….give me a hug.” He would always end our conversations by rubbing my neck and saying something like “Bye cutie.”  The women and their children at Mission Solano are amazing though...

 

My remnant friends are great and my work friends are great.

 

End of story.

 

Well at least for this entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment